Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Scott McLean "Can't Stay" (2011 - new song) released March 27, 2012


Scott McLean - Singer, songwriter
Song title:  "Can't Stay"

This song is not about my current situation, and I don't talk this way.  It's just a song and it's intended as entertainment, not for scrutiny of each word.  That's why I put "vocal styling and singing as acting" in the Labels (below).  I started to release my songs last year on Fast Food Yummy because I didn't have my a website or blog to post my own songs.  

It's important to know that many songs by other solo artists and bands are not about the singer or songwriters and the songs also could be written in a variety of ways, during the time of singing or playing guitar, or just some words that sound good together.  But I keep reading comments -- for example, comments below videos of other artists' songs on YouTube -- that listeners think the singer really went through some hard times or something, and my thoughts are maybe, and maybe not.  

They could be writing about relationships they have observed or like a character in a novel, movie, or TV show, the song may represent a combination of characteristics of several people.  Some songs are probably about some person that the singer/songwriter knows (or knew) and they don't sing 'he' and 'him' or 'she' and 'her' but instead sing 'I' and 'me'.  

So then, someone might say that kind of singing is like acting.  Of course, most of us have past relationships too, and while we may be nothing like the character a song appears to be about, we can use our past experiences to figure out how we want to sing the song in a believable way to make it interesting for listeners.  I hope this makes sense.  While this is a blog, please do not assume that I write songs only about myself unless I say so, because like most songwriters/singers/musicians, I want to be creative and come up with something interesting, maybe somewhat different, and see what happens.  

I'm going to share more of my thinking about music and songs, though someone could interview me and maybe I would even answer questions.  

Note: This song was originally scheduled to be released on November 15, 2011 but didn't come out on that date, so it's finally being released now.